Problem with wep encryption
Sebastian Thelen
2004-07-17 00:41:31 UTC
Hi,

I have got a 3com OfficeConnect (3CRSHPW196) pcmcia card with atmel
chipset and I use the kernel included drivers by Simon Kelley (kernel
2.6.5) on a gentoo system.
As long as I do not use wep encryption everything works as it should but
with enabled encryption I do not get any connection to my accesspoint
(it is a d-link dwl2000+).
iwconfig displays the right key and even shows the mac adress of my ap
but I get no signal level or link quality and there won't be any
traffic. Iwconfig does further not show any packet statistics like
invalid crypt or anything else just ifconfig gives the number of faild
packages.
The pcmcia card is ok (at least it works on windows clients with
encryption).

May it be any problem with the driver or has anybody got an idea what it
could be? I have allready searched the web a bit but I did not get any
helpfull information until now.

I would be pleased for your help, Sebastian
Jeff Byrkit
2004-07-21 01:12:46 UTC
I spent a few hours trying to get my ma101 to work with redhat 2.4.20. I
could not get any data to flow, and if I put the ma101 on my xp notebook it
worked fine. If I turned off encryption, it worked perfectly. After beating
my head against the wall for a few more hours, I finally realized that it
was the "attached devices" on my netgear ap that I had set to only allow
certain mac addresses on the network. But the device was in there, and if I
used it on winders, it worked great. I removed the ma101 from the access
control list and voila, it worked with wep on. Then I added it back into the
list and now everything is cool. When I turned off encryption, I guess it
also turned off the access control list or something.

Sebastian Thelen
2004-07-23 16:39:49 UTC
Thanks for your help.
The problem is solved but it had indeed to do with the configuration of
my accesspoint. It has different security modes but their description
did not say something about different treatment with the encryption. I
do not realy know why, but it works.
adam weishaupt
2004-08-07 14:31:17 UTC
hi!

i only get about 300kb/s if i copy files in ad-hoc mode. in windows i get
about 600kb/s. someone knows whats the problem ?
Chi-Thanh Christopher Nguyen
2004-08-07 13:57:14 UTC
Post by adam weishaupt
hi!
i only get about 300kb/s if i copy files in ad-hoc mode. in windows i get
about 600kb/s. someone knows whats the problem ?
In one direction only or in both directions? Does iwconfig wlanX rate Y
(insert X and Y appropriately) have any effect?
adam weishaupt
Joerg Albert
2004-08-13 21:06:56 UTC
Hi,
Post by adam weishaupt
hi!
i only get about 300kb/s if i copy files in ad-hoc mode. in windows i get
about 600kb/s. someone knows whats the problem ?
In one direction only or in both directions? Does iwconfig wlanX rate Y
(insert X and Y appropriately) have any effect?
Please describe your setup in more detail:
- Is the peer running the same OS for the Win and Linux test case?
- How do you copy and measure the throughput under Win and Linux, same
application ?
- kb/s = kBit/s or kByte/s ??

I've never seen more that 520 KByte/s throughput with 802.11 devices, any
hidden compression in the Win setup? Try to copy large compressed files.
380 KByte/s is IMHO an average value for some 10+ m distance (or if
the channel is disturbed by another WLAN device, Bluetooth or ISM device),
380 KBit/s = 48 KByte/s would be ways too small.

You may also try to check that you use the same RTS/CTS and fragmentation
threshold values for Windows and Linux.

/Jörg